Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

With Sentinel and Saraba (1)

Surfing the web could be elating, time-wasting, indulging and in other instances fulfilling. It all depends on what takes your time and how much knowledge you garner during the cyber-period. I have had moments which left me with aftertaste that I can't just stop relishing. There were days too when I recoiled from the screen and wondered at the frivolities and trivialities the Internet offered. The internet is functionally multifaceted. You chose which grain your pestle gets to grind. I roughly have 20hrs access to the Internet a week. But the trove stored on my hard-drive conflicts this. You would think my connection is always up and running. Really, it isn't. Not in this part of the world where connection is measured in meager bytes with preset timing. What I do on the web with the shortest of access time could be amazing. Reading newspaper, magazines, blogs, literary portals and journals makes my eyelids puffy from multitudinous of words.


They say life is in twos in everything and to every individual. The internet is not without the contradiction of use that people make of it too. Your internet is for inane chats, mine is for reading. What a striking opposition. The way the web works is in the attitudinal individuality of persons.


I have two ways I want people relating with me whenever my netbook calls for my attention. When I surf the net over a cup of kunu and roasted plantain, with intermittent laughter appreciating the pleasure of the food, I could be selfless in giving my attention to other things apart from what mesmerizes me on the screen.


The other, I can't really couch in words for clear definition of the mood that submerges my whole. But I know the symptom before and the effect after it. When I hunch slightly, creating a slantingly tangent view with my screen, blinking sharply at the screen's glare, rushing over meals, preferring taking meals on the bare floor over the dining table that seats my netbook; I know the latter moment beckons to me. In this period, I could ignite when my skin senses the least of friction on it. The effect; my eyes redden, pores break out sweat and my mind goes into a trance of reasoning induced by the words the Web screens on my netbook.


Of some of the activities that currently take my web-time; I share with you these two:

 


On Sentinel Nigeria Issue 7


Sentinel Nigeria has berthed again. This time at the sea with tidal waves that direct all to the dock of variously apt pieces. It is moored to Issue 7. In my years of fraternity with Sentinel Nigeria, a quarterly literary magazine, giving preference to previous Issues over the current has always remained herculean. So is this same Issue that partly inspires me to write this. The issue is new and the steam that each contribution boils with still visible.


Reading literature online is more engaging; this I have observed over time. It interacts with the reader, unlike a paperback that leaves the reader slurring between pages that feed him without taking in personal reflections from him. Online, the beholder's views are only some keystrokes' away. In this Sentinel Issue 7, find yourself disagreeing and acquiescing with opinions so compact yet resounding. Observe when you nod to the exactitude of points so correctly driven. Validate my claim when you converse with each writer in a telepathy that can only be in pieces very spellbinding. 


Read Sentinel Nigeria issue 7 now >>>>

 


Of Saraba 9: The Food Edition


Always on Saraba do I notice myself immerse in the analyses that brew out of fertile minds of versed resourcefulness. The correctness of every year's submissions to the subject they individually peruses is intellectually engaging. Subconsciously, I have built an ingrained attitude of keen interest in the artistic depiction this downloadable magazine showcases.


Each issue usually works on a tailored theme. Not in order though, there have been Fashion, Technology, God, Economy, etc. With each of these themes, new perspectives are delivered. It is in the way Saraba achieves deepness from clichéd topics that takes one in. In the end, there is always a reinvention of ideas from simple hackneys.


In Technology for example, technology is looked at from ways it affects and shapes our literature and lives. The pains and benefits it has holed through basic human endeavours are bared.


In this newly published edition, Food is closely juxtaposed with Literature. Its advantages are weighed with the knowledge the mind needs feeding on. In this new collection, writers strive to show the indispensability of Food to human and literature to the mind. Some contributions portray the infusion of Food into the literature of humanity. Food, in this issue becomes the mirror that reflects the importance of literature. This edition goes out to array the intermingling of literature, Food, knowledge and life.


Download the magazine now>>>>


I would implore you frequent this blog more in days to come. This space will be featuring rundown of pieces in these magazines and other literary websites yet unmentioned. To download past Issues of Saraba, browse the archives on the site for it. Sentinel Nigeria, a non-downloadable magazine also stores past editions on the site for easy rummage.


Follow this activity of mine and maximize your web-time. Up online Literature!!!

6 comments:

  1. I love both online magazines too, and have thoroughly enjoyed Sentinel 7. Yet to fully dive into Saraba though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please dive into Saraba Food Edition soon. The lofty experience that awaits you is one that can't just be put into words. I'll love to know your thoughts about both editions because I will be reviewing their pieces on this space.

    Thank you, Myne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amy. Glad you have the links now. Come back to tell me what you feel about the magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you utilise your time on the net properly because it is limited, or maybe it is because you have a sense of discipline. For me I have suspended my FB account, and disconnected myself from many sites that make my time on the internet wasted. Nice article. I'll check back for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Oluchi. I have learnt to maximise my time on the Internet because of those two reasons you stated - limitedness of access and forced discipline. However, they are times Social Networking Sites waste my time and want to make me cry. On these days, I usually feel so empty and dull. Now, I have learnt to ignore facebook, though my account is still very active. At times when I am on it, I disable the chat function to stay focused and get whatsoever I want on it quickly. There is an Extension (add-on) you could install on Google Chrome, and I think it will help you too, it is called StayFocused. With it, you can set the time you want to spend on a website in a day. The website closes at the set time.

    Thanks for dropping by, I hope you will come around soon. The second part of the article is already on the blog . You can read it here: http://josephomotayo.blogspot.com/2011/10/with-sentinel-and-saraba-2.html

    ReplyDelete

< >